Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Former Teacher, My Present Boss

I am a tutor at a school where the principal is my grade school French teacher. I had told a few of the teachers at the school that I am a former student of the principal, but was wary of mentioning it to the principal herself. One day I was in the office with a parent consultant and the topic of the principal's former students came up, and I mentioned that I am actually one of her former students. She said that I should tell the principal. I still was wary about letting her know.

Well, the parent consultant took care of it for me. One day when I got to school, the principal asked if she could see me in her office. I was wondering what I had done. When I got into her office, she asked me if I recognized this green satin box with lace overlay. It did look kind of like the box I had my ring bearer carry for our wedding so I said yes. She said that the box was one that I had given her after I went on a trip as a student of hers. She still kept the box on her dresser and uses it for her earrings. I was amazed! The principal said that once the parent consultant jogged her memory, she knew exactly who I was and could even spell my maiden name to this day.

I have to say that it was nice to be remembered so fondly over 25 years later. The principal did not remember some of my former classmates, but she did remember me and in a positive light!

No comments: