Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Lesson in Gift Receiving

One of my students got excited because she traded one of her friends the book that I gave her for the book that she really wanted.  She went to show her other friend the "new" book, and I could overhear her telling her friends.  Here comes the lesson of the day: when receiving a gift, act gracious and trade in secret.  It is not polite to trade gifts in front of the person that gave you the gift.  One of my students asked why, and I told them as a class that when someone gives you a gift, they pick it especially for you.  Sometimes they are right, and sometimes they are wrong.  Whichever it is, be nice and say thank you. Then, you can return it to the store later or trade with your friend without the giver knowing.  Lesson in etiquette and manners complete!

No comments: