Thursday, November 10, 2011

100 Places to Remember Before they Disappear

A few weeks ago I was browsing at the library and picked up the book 100 Places to Remember Before they Disappear which I also realize now has a website.  As I was flipping through the book, I came upon #58 which was Bangkok, Thailand.  As I read about Bangkok's situation and the fact that it is a sinking city, I just thought about our impending trip there next year.  Now, it seems ironic that just a few weeks later, the city has mass flooding that does not seem to be getting better.  In addition, there is a story that is spreading through the Thai community that the King of Thailand wrote a speech about 30 years ago predicting that the type of flooding could occur in Bangkok and providing solution to the problem.  Unfortunately, he was not taken seriously, and people could not work together for the betterment of all leading to the problems that we are seeing today.

No comments: